Monday, February 18, 2008

The Beach and Death

I think it's safe to say that almost all White, middle-class kids growing up in Orange County have spent countless summer days exploring the infamous California coast. With a dad who loves to surf and a mom who loves to tan, the Hardeman's made many memories frolicking on the beaches throughout So Cal. One of the best feelings in the world: to be run out of the icy ocean and roll in the hot sand. One of the worst feelings in the world: to get a giant ball of sand stuck in your one-piece that feels like a poopy diaper. (girls- you know what I'm talking about- why doesn't that happen any more?) What I loved about beaches as a kid: Huntington Beach: soft sand stretching for what seemed like miles from the parking lot to the water with a snack shack stocked with junk food. Newport Beach: excellent boogie-boarding waves and frozen bananas on the pier. Bolsa Chica: although a bit dirty, great waves to learn to surf and usually empty life-guard stations to play on. Corona Del Mar: fun jetties to walk on, huge rock formations to play hide-n-seek and the infamous "bouncing tree." Doheny Beach and Dana Point: great camping spots and spots to learn to surf.

Ok, I'll stop now- forgive me for continually using my blog as a chance to walk down memory lane. I have so many fond memories from growing up and when I start reflecting about my experiences here, I can't help but compare them to past experiences. As you may have guessed, the theme of this entry is the beach. I just returned from running along the coast, getting splashed by the waves crashing on the wall and have beach on the brain. Sadly, the beach in Maputo is a little bit disgusting. "The world is our trashcan" philosophy has so polluted the waters that they are a murky bluish-brown tint and the shore is littered with all sorts of debris. Don't get me wrong, the ocean is still beautiful, especially when the sun sets over it and the water sparkles. I was however, thrilled to be able to go to a beach about an hour away which feels like Maui.

To get to this heavenly beach, one must have a 4 x 4 since the dirt roads can get deep at parts. On Saturday Henrik drove Lisa, Sabina and myself to the beach accompanied by 2 other cars of friends. The adventure began when we had to cross the possibly hippo and croc invested river. We rode on a ferry across a bunch of "floating grass" with all the cars and even a tractor on board. (please take note of the tractor driver in the background-love his hat; little did we know we would be getting help from him later in the day. And for those of you who have missed seeing the "awkward fist on shoulder," I brought it back for you)












Here you'll see a bunch of locals existing the ferry and going about their merry ways with all their belongings on their heads. I wish I could pick up this skill! Quick question: would you rather be able to balance anything on your head OR be an incredible juggler? Just wondering. After making it across the ferry, we began the trek through the pot-holed, dirt road when the car in front of us, filled with Henrik's Swedish friends grinded (ground?) to a stop. Sarah's car had died in what literally may be the middle-of-nowhere. The only businesses near by are 2 small restaurants and there are only a few coastal villages. Henrik assessed the situation while Lisa, Sabina and I contributed by singing songs in Shangana and taking pictures of cows. A truck packed with Mozambicans squashed in the back, soon passed by us and stopped. The driver exited and said, "How can I help?" Really? I guess I am used to the highways of Southern California where it is every man for himself and this gesture blew me away. Turns out he wasn't actually able to help, but hey- it's the thought that counts. The next car to pass by was the tractor which had been on the ferry with several kids riding on top. They too immediately stopped to offer help and gave us a giant rope which we used to pull Sarah's car to the beach and later all the way back to Maputo.











I had been to this beach a few months back with Lindsay but I still had "drop-jaw-reflex" when we walked past the brush onto the white sand beach with the turquoise waves leisurely crashing on the shore. Here's a picture of all the girls from our little outing.
The ripped woman next to me is Cassia and works for the US government. Don't ask me why but we were talking politics over lunch one day and when I asked her for her opinion about Hillary, she started with, "Well in all the meetings I've been in with her...." Crap Katie! Abort conversation! You're about to look like a moron if you continue. I managed to survive without making a total fool of myself and had a very interesting conversation. Cassia's children were also there whom I know fairly well and it was wonderful because with them playing in the water, I had a perfect excuse to act like a kid in the water without raising eyebrows. Not being "OC kids" they knew little about ocean games so I enlightened them to the 47 different ways to jump over a wave, how to have sand fights, get pummeled by waves and do cartwheels into the water. Pretty sure I had more fun than they did.












We ate an amazing seafood lunch at the one restaurant nearby and headed home. One the way home, I saw an image that will probably never leave me. A few seconds before we arrived on the scene, a man on a bicycle had been hit by car and was lying in the middle of the street. Dead. There were no police yet or even a crowd, just a few people looking at the man in his thirties, lying in the road with blood running from his mouth. I've never witnessed something like this. Suddenly we were all faced with our own immortality and it was a very sobering ride home. I couldn't stop thinking about this man's family and how this day that had been such a fun one for me, would be one of the worst days of their lives. Life is so fleeting. We all know it but it is not something we like to think about- or at least I don't. Life is so precious- it's such a gift and there is such sorrow when it ends. My prayer is that I would have the attitude of David who wrote:

" ' Show me , O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." Psalm 39: 4-7

I confess that I have a much too lofty opinion of myself and when I read passages like the one above, I am reminded how small I am. Yes I am dearly loved by the Creator but in the grand scheme of things, my life on earth is just a breath. If I remembered this every day and lived like it, I would live differently- and I hate admitting that. I wish it weren't true. So I continue to pray; I pray like David did that God would show me my life's end and let me know how fleeting is my life. I know He hears me and will answer and I will slowly learn to live with the mindset that my life here is so short compared to eternity. My days are fleeting. Am I making the most of them? Am I daily surrendering to Christ and living to please Him?

As usual, I have a theme song that I have been listening to non-stop for the past few weeks. You country fans may be assuming I am referring to Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" and although the message is similar to the lesson I am learning, you are wrong. I highly recommend you throw 99 cents to I-tunes and purchase Laura Story's version of "Mighty to Save." When I run past the ocean, I sing the chorus as loud as I can (don't worry- no one is close enough to suffer except for Gizmo) because it is such a visual reminder to me of how big and mighty my God is.


Mighty To Save

Everyone needs compassion
Love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Saviour
The hope of nations

Saviour
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever
Author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender

Shine Your light and let the whole world see
We're singing
For the glory of the risen King

1 comment:

Lesley Miller said...

The beach and death? Katie! Talk about morbid!

My mom informed me you had a new blog up so I of course came on to read it (while scarfing my really good sausage. mmmm... it's dinner time.) So, remember when I buried you at the beach? Remember introducing Jenny to the beach? I can't say I'm not jealous that both of you are in hot beautiful weather.

I love your stories and I miss you. Give Gizmo a big wet one on the mouth for me.