Thursday, February 14, 2008

Backpacking with My Brother

Opening scene of the video: The year is 1986. We are in our living room. I am 4 years old. Trent is 2, wearing only a diaper, smiling sheepishly in front of the camera while my Dad coxes him to say his name. I intervene and spank Trent hard on his rear and giggle, "Say it Trent! Say it!" Trent responds by giggling shyly and watches me as I continue to hit his diaper and laugh myself silly. (admittedly I was a bit of an odd child but Trent was too) Flash forward 21 years. We are in our backyard at the ping-pong table. I am 25 years old. Trent is 23, wearing only his basketball shorts, smiling mischievously as he calls out the score. I interrupt and say, "Wait, I'm winning aren't I?" Trent responds by laughing obnoxiously and begins to taunt, mock, and talk trash as I begin to fume. I hate losing. I end up throwing the ping-pong paddle at Trent's face and storming inside. Next scene. Again we are in the backyard, this time with a basketball. I am determined to defeat him in one-on-one. I fake right and step left, past his leg and he shoves me hard- straight to the cement ground. Hands bloodied and stinging, I look at him with fury and yell, "I CAN'T FEEL MY HANDS!!!"

We have reenacted two of our infamous fights. The video is for the Amazing Race application. Surely CBS would eat it up. Competitive brother and sister who know how to laugh and how to push each others' buttons and go for each others' throats under pressure. Isn't that the essence of reality television? We've never actually made the video. I've always been a bit hesitant to allow the world to see me lose my cool with Trent and the timing has never been right. It still isn't. However, the timing is perfect for both of us to backpack through Europe this summer.

Heidi is married, busy chasing our little busy-bee Vander, and isn't exactly the "back-packing" type. Travis is finishing up school and about to tie the knot with our dear Emma. So the single Hardeman siblings, blessed with few responsibilities and obligations, will be strapping on the backpacks and trekking through Europe on an unforgettable adventure. (I used to think singleness was a curse. When will it be my turn God??? I've often asked. But in recent years He has revealed that just as marriage is a gift, so too, being single is a gift. Not only could I up and move to Africa, now I get to embark on an incredible journey with my brother. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by how blessed I am.)

Neither Trent nor I have been to Europe before (unless you count my whirlwind tour of London on my layover) so we are flying into the "unknown" which makes this adventure even more exciting. However, it also makes us both completely naive: how exactly does one backpack through Europe? We've begun researching which is quite a fun process but we would love to hear any and all tips you have if you've been to Europe. Our only definite plans are to meet in Germany on June 8 and leave from London on July 8. Trent will already be in Latvia visiting his roommate from Biola and I will drop my suitcases off in London and we will meet in either Frankfurt or Munich and begin the journey. We plan on using the Eurorail to see Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, and France and spend the remaining days in England. Our skeletal plans will involve lots of improvising and "flying by the seat of our tails" (is that the right expression? Odd.) but we will decide on cities and places to put on our itinerary. This is where you come in. Recommendations??? I know I teach history and probably should know tons of cool historical sites to see but I admittedly don't know a ton about places to see in Europe. We are traveling on a tight budget (don't worry supporters- I saved money from teaching at Rowland and won't be traveling on your dime) so if you happen to know anyone in any of the mentioned countries who could provide beds and a toilet for Trent and I, that would be awesome.

As long as there is no competition involved on the trip, I don't anticipate any fights or hurled objects. Traveling through Europe is something I have wanted to do for quite some time and I am so excited to be able to share this adventure with my brother. Trent and I have a lot in common, including a love for awkward moments and ugly faces- I'm sure we'll have hilarious stories and disgusting pictures to share when we get home. The pictures by the way are from two different photo shoots in which Trent and I explored new ways to contort our faces and look as mortifying as possible.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what no holland? oh my heart,whose kids are you anyway? mom

Lesley Miller said...

love your mom's comment. :)

Okay so I am so so stinking excited for you guys! What a trip of a lifetime that you'll never, ever forget!

You must go to: Florence, Rome and Cinque Terra in Italy. Check out Schloss Mitersill in Austria (I think you may be able to stay there. We did-- it's a Christian retreat center and it's beautiful) And, being the history teacher that you are-- you must do Normandy Beaches in France. I'll send you a much more detailed list later but that's a start!!

Emma and Travis said...

Ok, I'm not going to lie...I'm a tad bit jealous you guys are going to see all of Europe!!! One day i will go! I'm so excited for you guys though! That is going to be one amazing trip and how fun to share it together! Europe better look out...they have no clue what's coming! :)

The Butlers said...

Czech your email for my 2 cents. See what I did there?

trent said...

gayde! i got Josh's number and he has so muchh information, but im going to meet up with him and milk him like the dairy cow he is!!! and i'm gettin pumped and being so cheap here to save money!! we take sucj great ugly pics! Europe with be amazing making these faces and new ones, with a beautiful new background, but lets and try to not take one serious face one! or if we do we have to take 5 goofy ones to balance out the world of gayde and trent's adventure or GTA!! thats a sick name