Monday, December 10, 2007

Manic Monday in Maputo

I'm trying desperately not to be stuck in "count down mode" and miss out on things happening here in Maputo. A lot can happen in 13 days, just ask JFK. (love throwing Cuban Missile Crisis references into as many conversations as possible) I had prayed that although I am so looking forward to home, I would still fully live in the moments here and what do you know? God answered. I don't want to build it up so you are expecting some spectacular story that happened today- nothing happened that I will probably remember in 17 years or even next week but it was a day full of laughter and fun moments where I was reminded how much I love teaching, how much I love my students, and how much I love living in Mozambique.

Today started out as just another manic Monday. I stood on the corner waiting for my ride as usual- no one tried to sell me a giant turtle (this actually happened one day. "No thanks lady, we've got two already. I just discovered this the other day when I almost stepped on a turtle on the porch and yelled "turtle!" apparently they've been here all along but Miss Observant hadn't seen them) and we arrived at CAM at 7 AM. During my first class we practiced our "artsy" recitation of "O Little Town of Bethlehem" which we will be performing at the Christmas program this Friday. (video to follow- I have some strange ideas sometimes- this could get interesting) We then proceeded to practice singing "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and other carols since my students will be leading everyone in singing at the Christmas program. If you've ever stood next to me in church you know that if I'm not lip-singing, whatever song is being sung is being massacred by my tone-deaf self. (Jenny once told me I sound like a little kid when I actually sing seriously. I guess it's better than what Dan says Heidi sounds like when she sings. You'll have to ask her. ) Needless to say, leading a bunch of adolescents who are looking for any small reason to mock their teachers, in singing was a brave and well, silly idea. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm not quite as bad as Cameron Dias in My Best Friend's Wedding, but I'm close to that level. My favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night so of course we are going to sing it but the problem is there are some really high notes that are impossible for me to reach but I still tried. Be thankful you weren't in class. And I can't seem to sing "Faaaaaaaaall on your kneeeeeeeeees" without laughing because I sound so awful but love to belt that part out. I'll let you know how it goes on Friday. (pray for us!)

During break several students hang out in my room and today's conversation was quite deep and intellectual. Coleson told a story about how his dad offered to pay him 20 bucks if he ate a quarter-sized, giraffe turd. His reasoning for refusing was, "then I would be known as the 'poop-eater' and I didn't want that." Oko then had to one-up Coleson and told us how when it was really really cold one morning, he and his brother stuck their hands in fresh horse poop to warm them up!!! I told him I will never give him another high five. Gotta love high school boys' conversations. Sorry for all the poop references. I think I've surpassed my annual quota and will refrain from any more mentions until next year.
After break I discussed the "Progressive Era" with my US History students. I know, fascinating stuff huh? We were talking about the Roosevelt Dam so I had to share one of my favorite jokes first told to me by my Trig teacher. "What did the fish say when he ran into the wall?....Dam." They loved it- I experienced a small taste of the thrill a stand-up comedian must get. Another classroom favorite which I used the other day in geography is as follows: "What ethnicity are you when you're in the bathroom.....European. " (get it? You're a peein') Anyways- back to the Progressive Era...so we were talking about changes in transportation, the Model T, assembly lines, yada yada yada, and then I mentioned the Wright brothers and Igor nearly shouted, "NO!!!"He went on to fervently demand that the book was wrong and America is wrong- a Brazilian man was the first to invent the airplane. Apparently Brazil has been bitter for years about the Wright brothers getting all the credit for something Santos something or other was the first to accomplish. Gosh I thought I had known all the reasons countries hate America but this one sure surprised me. What are they going to say next...a non-American built the Statue of Liberty? Madalena confirmed Brazil's claim that they actually built the first airplane and the next day the Brazilian boys were still talking about those dumb "White brothers" getting all the credit. Yes, they thought their real names were the "White brothers." (I was joking about the Statue of Liberty by the way)

After an unusually long US History period, I realized the bell must not be working and went to investigate. I discovered no secretary or head master or anyone who knew how to ring the bell so I took matters into my own hands. I walked the halls yelling, "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrring. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring." Stuck my head in classes, "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring" and got some great looks from teachers and students alike. Does anyone get that look that seems to say, "are you on drugs?"

During my prep period I went to my favorite spot to buy my Monday lunch; the BP gas station. I am a creature of habit and need to give myself a treat on Monday's so I have something to look forward to, hence the weekly (OK sometimes bi- and even tri-weekly) romp to the gas station to buy my samosas and spring roll (actually an over-sized pig in a delicious buttery blanket)

Next I had World History with my terrors, I mean junior highers. They had turned their papers into the sub although I specifically told them not to but the sub was in the library so I sent someone to get him. Apparently a rumor has spread that I beat people up because when I sent Silvio to get the sub the whole class said, "Ooooooo!!!" then- "Mr. Golden's gonna get it from Miss Katie! Go easy on him Miss Katie! Show him mercy! You're bigger than him! (gee thanks) Don't hit him too hard!" Seriously, I don't know where all these comments were coming from but they were cracking me up. Turns out Mr. Golden was a bit frightened of messing up and was frightened of me (I think because I am twice his size) During class I balled up some old papers and tried to shoot them into the trashcan across the room. My aim was terribly off and I nailed poor Ude in the face with a ball of trash and it took quite sometime to get everyone (including myself) to stop laughing and continue talking about transubstantiation. (if you know what that means I will be incredibly impressed) We had fun trying to pronounce it as fast as we could. (junior highers are easily entertained and if you couldn't tell already, so am I- we practiced saying "rural" for a good 2 minutes one day) Some of these crazies are a bit camera shy so I had to hunt them down during lunch to take their pictures and got a little too much pleasure trying to sneak up on them and take their picture when they weren't looking.
During lunch I snapped some shots of the boys basketball. I love trying to capture awkward candid shots. After lunch I work with Mayalla on English by reading with her in the library. She's just begun reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I am for sure way more excited about this than she is.
I have "check-out duty" on Mondays which entails me standing at the gate with the guard and a clipboard, checking out the kids as they leave school. I love this time of interacting with the younger kids although today cute little Abby used me as a shield as Michael the terror chased her with a leaky water bottle. I could NEVER teach kindergarten. I say that and just reminded myself that today Dr. Meyers asked if I could teach the little ones how to swim next semester during PE. In a few months I may be wishing I had lied and said I don't know how to swim. While supervising the munch-kins, I overheard Panache call Mafat a bad name. Apparently he called him a "dip wad" but I heard something different (I'm jaded by the public schools!) and demanded Panache tell me what he said. Mafat said, "He called me a dip wad. I heard it once on a cartoon but I don't know what that means." Whoops. My response: "Panache, don't call people dip wads. It's not nice."
After preparing for the week, I set off on my walk home. As I neared a large tree, I noticed a man had somehow gotten his shoe stuck in the tree and he was jumping, unsuccessfully, trying to get it down. When he saw me he must have thought, "white giant" and asked in Portuguese if I would get his shoe down for him. I did a not-so-graceful leap and knocked his shoe down although it nearly hit someone in the head and continued walking, laughing at the irony of it all: a black man asking a white girl to jump to reach something for him- I kinda felt like a giant today.

I continued my power-walk and noticed a man keeping right up with me which usually doesn't happen. Mozambicans usually aren't in a hurry and when my arms get pumping, I confess, I'm moving a good pace, looking ridiculous, but moving fast. I convinced myself that he was after my purse that I usually never carry with me and I pretended I was a CIA agent, pretending to cross to the opposite side of the road to see if he would follow. He didn't take the bait and I was too lazy to actually cross the road so I ended up following him instead- perhaps he was also worried I was following him:)
I stopped by Blockbuster to see if there was any new selection. By Blockbuster I mean the group of boys selling pirated movies. I was suddenly surrounded by 7 boot-leg selling teens giving them my movie reviews as they held up movie after movie and I said, "Seen it, seen it, own it, you shouldn't watch that, own it, Oh that's a great one, seen it, never heard of it, that looks stupid, that looks gory, own it" and so on. They were getting a kick out of how many movies I've seen until a guard signaled to stop selling and I had to quickly walk away.

As I rounded the corner to my block, I passed by three young girls walking stoically. Just as I approached them, one girl stumbled on a crack and nearly fell to her knees so of course I had the Christianly response and looked at her and laughed. This sent them all into a fit of giggles which continued even as I turned the corner. Apparently when a white person laughs at you for tripping, it is quite funny. Perhaps I need to work on this laughter reflex- some people might be offended.

I opened our gate to find that really, really old guard was on duty and had a giant grin on his face and waved hello as I entered. He is one of those people who has the sweetest spirit and demeanor about him. He is constantly smiling and saying "Obrigado, obrigado" (thank you) for no apparent reason and just seeing him makes me happy.

I entered the house to the usual amazing aroma of Mada's cooking and we ate fish soup and bell pepper salad while having a great conversation about being proud aunties.

Like I said, nothing too amazing or adventurous about the day but so many moments where I felt so content and realize that God truly had answered my prayer and I am embracing and loving the moments here in Mozambique.

7 comments:

Emma and Travis said...

I love reading your blogs :) You live an eventful life...even your average days!

Those puppies in the email were cute...Maybe Swishy needs a girl friend... ;)

cindy said...

fish soup? you have come a long way my girl!

cindy said...

fish soup? you have come a long way my girl!

cindy said...

fish soup? you have come a long way my girl!

cindy said...

katie sorry my computer went crazy and kept duplicating my silly comment how embarressing oh your uncle jerry had a knee replacement at USC yesterday keep him in your prayers but so far pretty good love mom

Aunt Terri said...

Katie,
Horse poop isn't so gross. It is just processed hay, and not very smelly. I just spent 2 hours scooping 5 days worth of horse poop from our three horses. Uncle Dan is up in Mariposa fixing up our vacation cottage, and I've been too busy all week to make it out to the ranch.
I always get a special thrill when I am cleaning a horse pen and I can catch the poop before it hits the ground - you can't get it fresher than that! I catch it with the pooper scooper,not my hands.(;

The Butlers said...

Is your mom okay with animal excrement talk? If she places all excrement in the same category then is about to be a blogger showdown between Mrs. Multiple Post and your Aunt Terri. A lot of poo talk happening lately.

First of all, you did not have to find a 20 at the end of this post. It is very possibly my favorite post yet. Bravo on the Cuban Missile Crisis and Statue of Liberty jokes. I was shoulder shakin' for sure.

Coleston has wisdom beyond his years. Good choice...and reasoning on his part.

E-U-R-O-P-E-A-N! It was right under my nose. Ude has no reason to complain about the incidental paper wad to the face. It was no brick, right? Walk a mile in Andrew's shoes...

Transubstantiation is either having to do with bread and wine into body and blood or the mode of transport of most gofers. Caddyshackish.

Good job on the CIA work Mrs. Bourne.

From now on I am using "dip wad" as my most frequent put-down.