Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jessie Spano

My friends and I were a little nerdy in college. It's no real confession- I think everyone knew it. When your goal on Friday nights was to be the last to leave the cafeteria, you played games like "find the country on the map" and Lava Monster (you know- where the ground is lava so you have to leap from all the furniture), you aren't really trying to conceal your nerdiness. Well, we used to play this game at dinner called "High, Low" where you would try to sum up your day, week, month or whatever by listing the highs and the lows. Since it's been almost a month since I've written about my "tales" here, I am resorting to the use of "high, low" since it is quite a daunting to task to try to write about everything that has happened. Being a bit verbose, of course I can't limit myself to just one high and one low, so I'll make a small list (small is relative) about the highs and lows from this past month.

High- Getting to know Lindsay! I was so sad when Aisha moved and asked God if it wouldn't be too much to ask Him to answer the same prayer again and provide another friend. And lo and behold, He answered again! Lindsay showed up from Texas to teach 2nd grade, we clicked right away and I now have a new running partner! She is practically a clone of my friend Meredith, who also happens to be from Texas, and is a true answer to prayer. The only bad thing is I have already noticed that my usage of the word "y'all" has returned in full force. OK, I have to post this next picture as well because it is so frightening. We were trying to take a timer picture and Gizmo was being difficult. I am particularly proud of this "ugly face" because I wasn't trying! I looked at the screen afterwards and actually gasped. Not too often your own face can scare you. I felt like I had reached a new level in my pursuit of ugly faces. Apparently the look I was going for was "psychotic, demon-possessed, cancer patient on drugs with bizarre veins in a giraffe-esq neck." I don't know about you, but I think I nailed it. Low- getting yelled at by a one-legged man. While running with Gizmo, Gizzy decided to squat by a tree. Perfectly normal. One thing I love about walking dogs here in Maputo is that you don't have to clean up after them. Well, apparently, Giz chose to do his business under the tree where this man must sit because he started yelling in Portuguese and though I don't know the language, I could grasp the meaning. I was terrified that he might chase me, I'm not being mean, I really thought that would be scary. So I confess, I did a "legally blonde shrug" and yelled, "Sorry, I don't speak Portuguese" and then broke into a sprint with Gizmo.

High- helping Natasha, one of the seniors, research colleges. This girl is an absolute crack up. The type that is constantly laughing and has a contagious laugh. She's also a very dedicated student and plans on going to college in the States. I asked her if she was a US citizen because I knew she lived there for 10 years, and she replied, "I don't know." Luckily, my brain had stored info from Government class about citizenship qualifications and we figured out that she isn't. Working with her, made me even more appreciative of my parents and how simple the college process was. Finding scholarships, financial aide and college acceptances, will, I anticipate turn into a bit of a headache but we're working on it every week.

Low- Being chased two separate times by two different dogs with only 3 legs. There is one dog that we usually run past and the other day he was waiting for us. I yanked Gizmo's leash close and picked up the pace but that darn dog started to chase us! I hate the feeling of being chased. I remember playing tag when I was little and constantly faking an injury when I was being chased because I hated the feeling. Glancing over my shoulder to find a 3-legged dog limping as fast as he can after us, was quite terrifying. The next time I was walking alone and a stray dog snuck up behind me and bit my heel! I did an embarrassingly girly scream and jumped a good 5 feet in the air and ran.

High- hanging out with my friends in Shiparango! I met Suzanne for the first time a few weeks ago who is a potential future girlfriend for Vander. She's only 5 days younger than him and such a doll. Her dad is one of the only villagers who speak a few words of English and he always make a point to ask me how I am in English.



I really don't know why we were squatting in this picture, or where my eyebrows have disappeared to. I'm also not sure what Martina is saluting but somehow, I'm sure she's never heard of Adolf Hitler, so I'm not concerned. Again, this is the village that Mada and I attend every other week where Mada preaches. I love hanging out with these villagers and feel like a bond is growing although I can't speak with them. Most of the children have moved into the city to live with relatives and attend school. However, Martina and Lorenzo don't have family in town and therefore do not get to go to school. So tragic. If you remember, Lorenzo is the boy with the bloated belly and Martina is the girl mistreated by the villagers. They both are constantly running errands for the adults during the service, whether it is filling the huge, dirty, communal cup with water, changing the babies soiled pants, chasing the pigs away from the huts, wiping the numerous runny noses of the little ones and taking them to the hut when they cry. These two are so dear to my heart. I appear to be gripping Martina with a kung-fu grip in the picture but I assure you, she wasn't trying to run away from me:)
Low- my planter's wart has returned.

High- being the only one to see the President's (yes, of Mozambique) peacock. I was grading papers at a really fancy and, as Aisha would say, "posh" hotel. It was freezing outside and I had not checked the weather and was in shorts but still insisted on sitting outside. (those who have lived with me, know that I need my "natural lighting") While sipping hot chocolates, I glanced up to find a peacock walking on the canopy. In college, my friend Katie and I once chased a peacock, and ever since I've been fascinated by these birds. I assumed the Polana Hotel had pet peacocks for the guests to gawk at, and after the bird had wondered off, I asked my waiter about it. It was at this point that I discovered the waiter didn't speak English and I did a horrid job trying to explain what a peacock is. Since he couldn't understand me, he said he'd get his manager. Oh great, that's what I get for trying to make small talk with someone who doesn't speak my language. So out comes the boss and I assure him that nothing is wrong, I was merely curious about the peacock. Apparently this is not a common word to learn in a second language because the manager was clueless as well, despite my efforts at pantomiming. He then proceeded to find HIS manager and for a third time, I explained that nothing was wrong, I just was asking about the stupid peacock. (no, I didn't call it stupid) He knew the word and realized that it was the peacock missing from the President's home which is near by. The entire Polana staff then proceeded to go on a peacock chase, leaving me quite amused bythe surreal afternoon of grading. (they never found the bird and I'm sure some assumed I had hallucinated)

Low- Gizmo had a one-night stand. I'm disappointed in his morals. I actually was a bit disturbed when Henrik, our neighbor, informed me but in 2 months there will be 10 pure-bred Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

High- Working with my junior highers. This crazy bunch is so full of life and I confess that I do have a somewhat "junior high" sense of humor so I find them hilarious. Sometimes they get off topic and start telling random stories and though I should cut them off, I enjoy listening to them giggle so much so I sit back and let them entertain me occassionally. I did, however, learn that when teaching junior high, one must never, under any circumstances, use the word "fart" if they are planning on maintaining any order for the remainder of the class. While spelling, "architecture" on the chalk board, I froze realizing I had no idea how to spell it without spell check. Not thinking twice, I informed the class that I was having a "brain fart" and couldn't remember how to spell the word. This led to the remaining 20 minutes of class full of laughter despite my best efforts to teach the legacy of ancient Greece. They had never heard this term before so I explained, and I fear this is may be the only thing they remembered from school that day. When we were talking about Old Testament history and the character "Nimrod" I told them that calling someone a "nimrod" is like calling them an idiot so they could remember Nimrod was an idiot for allowing the building of the Tower of Babel. They went around the entire week calling people nimrod's at school.

Another high about working with these gems, is there curiosity and their amazing faith. Pretending to be Socrates, I went through a line of questioning to try to get them to understand why they believe what they believe. So I asked why they were Christians and how they knew there was a heaven and how they knew what their parents told them was true and how they knew God even existed. I was blown away by some of their answers. When I asked how they knew God existed, Cory and Jessica answered right back with, "I've seen Him do miracles." They went on to tell stories of times they have witnessed God's power and I was left amazed, and with no further questions. I see why Christ said we must be like children to enter the kingdom. Their innocence and complete faith, is truly inspiring.

Low- Working with my junior highers. I love em but they are slowly sucking the life out of me. Anyone else thinking about dementors now? Yes, as previously mentioned, I am a Harry Potter fan. I knew my sophomores were more mature than junior highers, but I was clueless as to the extent. I have to use my stern voice way more often than I'd like. Let me briefly introduce you to the motly bunch (I actually don't know what "motly" means but I think it is the right context):

First, on your far right, is Andrew. I secretly love when people blink during pictures. As an eighth grader, he is the leader of the pack (vroom, vroom...anyone else singing the song?) and vacillates between being too cool to hang out with the "measly, immature 7th graders" and joining right in with all their crazy jokes and antics.

Next to him, is Jessica. A Greek with a tude, she is the first to call me out on each and every mistake and mishap I make but is super sweet as well.

Next to Jessica, is the reason I currently have a stress-induced, "pepperoni-pizza "face. (that's what we used to refer to our break-outs for those of you who have perfect skin and don't know what I'm talking about. ps- I hate you. Ok, not really, but I'm jealous) Ah, Fredy. He keeps us laughing and me on my toes. Although he can be somewhat of a challenge, there is a sweet innocence, though he tries desperately to conceal this, and a heart longing to be loved and accepted. He wouldn't let me pass by into the library the other day and not being in the mood to guess a password, I picked him up by his skinny, little arms and moved him. (Benefits of teaching at a private school.) Ever since, he's been telling people not to mess with me because I could beat them up.

The floating head next to Fredy is sweet, sweet Ude. He's a star student and catches me on spelling errors all the time. Quite pathetic on my part, I know. Usually wearing a great, big smile, you can't help but want to pick him up and squeeze him. He's self-conscious of his thick South African accent and heads were about to roll when the others teased him about it.

Next to Ude, is my protege for awkward, solo poses. Having once been an incredibly, awkward junior-higher myself, I find myself relating with Cory and trying desperately to protect him. (If you don't believe I was awkward, picture me, wearing a flannel and lipsinging to Chicago's "Your the Inspiration" in 7th grade drama. I'm still a bit peeved with Heidi for telling me it was a cool song.) Cory was so excited when I read the "Footprints in the Sand" story because he had just read it in his devotional the night before. He was so cute about it and brought the book in the next day to show me and then recently gave me the book since he finished.

Behind Cory is another floating head, Jenny. Total coincidence that both floating heads are black, by the way. Jenny is an incredible student with a usual cheery attitude. Since giving her my e-mail address, she e-mails every weekend to wish me a nice, relaxing weekend.

Jenny has her arm around Mayala who has recently joined the school. One problem, she doesn't speak a word of English. I've taught language learners before but this is to a whole new degree.

Finally, Mr. Cool, aka Silvio, is the new kid in town. Just last week his family moved from Nigeria and the little tyke is trying hard to fit in but struggling. He's in eighth grade but so tiny and on the basketball court, the others get frustrated because he steals the ball so often since he's tough to see. Still adjusting to our rules and teaching strategies, I have to be kinda tough on him and find myself saying at least 14 times a day, "If I'm talking, you're not."


High- coaching the high school boys and girls in basketball. I love running but I missed the greatest sport of all time and it has been so fun coaching. We currently only have 4 girls but are recruiting some of the others to join. They giggle and prance through practice but are eager to learn all the fundamentals of the game so they can show off their skills at the lunch time games.

There are 8 boys who were hilarious at practice today. Three different times, boys were accidentally pelted in the face with a ball and most fell to the ground laughing. Like the girls, they are sponges, wanting to learn everything about the game as fast as possible. Here's a video of the lunch time game. Yes, there are about 8 kids on a team. Please excuse my lame commentary. I'm sitting next to Caris and Will, two 5th grade boys who talk every day about how they can't wait til they can play with the older kids.

Low- teaching grammar! This subject is turning into the thorn in my side! I don't remember learning all these silly grammar rules and am teaching myself as we go along. Perhaps you've noticed my recent, more frequent use of commas. This is thanks to out last chapter on comma placement so I suppose I should be thankful that I am learning new things. Some of the vocabulary and spelling words are so tough that I have never even seen them and literally have to guess on the pronunciation and pray the kids don't call me out on it. Luckily, the new director's wife was supposed to teach the English classes and they are supposed to come in a few weeks. I've grown to appreciate my history classes even more after teaching English.

High- having great conversations at Tuesday night Bible study. The couple who hosts the study are hilarious and have a 4 year old, Star-Wars loving, son who cracks me up with his random comments. Our dinner conversations range from American cereals to Hillary Clinton; from the Simpsons to HIV in Africa; from honeymoon pranks to the politics in Mynamar. (I'm not trying to impress you by the stimulating, intellectual conversations we have. I can only offer input when talking about tv and food) I loved Tuesday nights at home because of the 99 cent chicken tacos, but here I've come to look forward to Tuesdays because of the fellowship and teaching. We've been studying James and if you're looking for a new book of the Bible to start reading, I highly recommend James. Before talking about passages with a group, I hadn't realized how many questions I have about Scripture. Wesley, the leader of the study, does a wonderful job explaining the context and the Greek and I am loving how much I am learning.

Low- Being too busy to shower and clip my toe nails. Maybe I'm using the work load just as an excuse to be lax in the whole "personal hygiene" arena, but I really do find myself contemplating which night of the week I'll have time to shower. I am currently quite stinky and I could use my toenails to fend off potential muggers. I've become a big fan of the french braid which does wonders for hiding greasy hair. If you were a Saved By the Bell fan like I was, perhaps you'll recall the episode where Jesse start taking pills to stay awake because, "There's never enough time, Zach!" Don't worry, I haven't started taking drugs but I do feel so tired and overwhelmed sometimes by everything that needs to get done for school that I feel like Jesse Spano. The worst part is that I've even been lax in my devotions because there's just "never enough time." Heidi and I used to run together although most days, one or both of us didn't feel up to it. Once we started running, however, we'd always remark how great it felt once we'd finished and were high on endorfins. We knew we would feel great afterwards but it still was a challenge to motivate ourselves to actually set apart the time and energy and run. So too it is with devotions. I feel so rejuvenated and at peace when I sit in His presence for a bit and really study the scriptures and journal. The "Catch 22" is that I am "too tired" to focus on the Word but if I actually dove into the Word, I wouldn't be so tired. (Is that a catch 22? I wanted to sound cool using it but now I'm second-guessing my usage of the phrase and my plan to sound hip may have back-fired.) Sadly, I often have found myself stuck in this sick cycle in the past month. How tragically ironic that I'm here to serve God but yet, haven't made time with Him my number one priority. I'll read a Psalm and a Proverb and maybe a brief devotional, but I haven't been devoting a significant chunk of time to sit with Him, really study His Word and reflect on what He's been teaching. I got trapped into this cycle at home but thought it wouldn't happen here. Don't get me wrong, I still have great moments with Him where He is constantly opening my eyes to new ways He is working, but I know He could show me even more if I was more disciplined and obedient. I am constantly amazed by how faithful God is to me, even though I am continually forgetting about Him. Subconsciously, I've always feared that one of these times, God is not going to welcome me back with open arms. He shouldn't. I've turned my back and ignored Him so many times, He shouldn't keep forgiving me and taking me back without at least making me work to make it up to Him somehow. But after every lapse in my devotions, every few days when I finally realize I desperately need Him, He is always right there waiting for me. It amazes me every time. He is so faithful although I can be so unfaithful. It's baffling. I just bought the new Casting Crowns cd and one of the songs entitled, "East to West" brought tears to my eyes. God often speaks to me through song and here was another example:

"Here I am, Lord, and I'm drowning in your sea of forgetfulness. The chains of yesterday surround me. I yearn for peace and rest. I dont' want to end up where You found me. And it echoes in my mind, keeps me awake tonight. I know You've cast my sin as far as the east is from the west. And I stand before you now as though I've never sinned. But today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way. Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west. 'Cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again. In the arms of Your mercy I find rest. 'Cause You know just how far the east is from the west- from one scarred hand to the other."

The same day I heard that song, I happened to be starting Phlippians and read this prayer in Chapter 1, verse 6".
.being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " I've been comforted by this verse time and time again. It seems that Christ needs to constantly remind me that He will not give up on me. No matter how many times I fall into the cycle and forget to put Him first, He is eagerly waiting for me to return.

High- when I would practicing shooting baskets, I would always end on a make so I feel the need to end on a "high" rather than a low. After an exhausting few weeks, God lavished His blessings on me as Madalena, Sabina and I took a 4-day trip to South Africa. We spent two incredible days in Kruger Park and two on a beautiful, relaxing farm. My next entry will be about this amazing time of refreshing and reviving. I hadn't realized I was in such dire need for a break until we left Maputo and my body and mind were finally able to rest. God is so good!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

It's interesting how many of your lows revolve around things with too few legs! :) hahaha....my plantar wart has too returned -- what's the deal?

My {Oh} My Musings said...

that picture of you w-me and gizmo is soooo funny!! i laughed out loud! your face in that pic is priceless....hahaha....love it!

The Butlers said...

You see either a spider or an octopus with seven legs comin' at you, just turn and run.