Thursday, July 19, 2007

Walking a T-Rex

To relieve stress some people take a hot bath or listen to soothing music but me, I prefer to run. (well that and pick zits which truly is a stress-reliever, I know I know, too much information) So it was a huge relief when I learned that I would be able to run in Mozambique and today I went for my first run by myself. Let me preface the story by pasting a portion of an e-mail I received today from the US embassy:


As many of you know, crime in the Maputo and Matola areas has increased significantly. There has been a surge in violent crimes such as carjackings, bank robberies, armed assaults at ATMs, home invasions, and robberies of commercial stores. Violent crime has occurred in many areas of the city and at various times of the day and night. Some of the areas affected include multiple locations along the Marginal, the baixa, Julius Nyerere, Alto MaƩ, communities along the outskirts of Maputo, and in Matola. Additionally, violent criminal activity has increased in the Sommerschield area. Many of these incidents involve criminals armed with automatic weapons. Although no area of the city is designated off-limits to U.S. government employees, everyone is strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of security awareness and follow good security practices.

Don't freak out mom, I have a point. Well, my running route is along the Marginal and I cross over Julius Nyerere. I know some of you must have been praying for my safety though and God has answered those prayers in the form of Gizmo. Gizmo is this giant razorback dog who belongs to our Swedish neighbor but guards both of our houses and is currently sleeping in our house while Henrik is gone. I already love this dog. (Don't worry Swish, he could never replace you.) So I went running with Gizmo and quickly realized that Mozambicans are TERRIFIED of dogs and especially a giant razorback. (doesn't that breed just sound mean?) I really felt like I was jogging with a t-rex on the leash based on the reactions of the people I passed. (I know some of you are thinking of stereotypes in America right now. I'd call you racist but I thought of them too) Well one time I forgot to pull the leash close as we passed by a girl and she literally screamed and jumped back when Gizmo tried to sniff her hand. I know I'm twisted because I just found it hilarious to see these people so terrified of me and my little Gizmo- I thought I was supposed to be the one afraid. Towards the end of the run, Gizmo had saliva all around his mouth which of course made it look like he had rabies so I don't blame the people for being so afraid. When we crossed paths with women, I would pull Gizmo close but when we passed men who looked somewhat suspicious, I would let Gizmo get close enough to them until I saw the fear in their eyes before I pulled him back. I really worry about myself sometimes. When I walked Gizmo with Madalena, she said not to tell people that he didn't bite, better to keep them guessing.

I fear that Gizmo wasn't in the best of shape and he needed some time to recover as seen in the picture but suddenly he loves me- which is great except he keeps trying to lay on my bed. A few minutes ago he nearly tore down my mosquito net when he tried to jump on the bed. Being the dog-lover that I am, I confess that I am tempted to let him sleep on the bed with me but something about sharing a bed with a dog in Africa just seems wrong. I mean, the other little white dog, Lupito already peed on my mattress and I don't really want to get a tick or something. (My roommate in college had a tick once and although i secretly found it hilarious because I told her I thought it was just a mole, she was quite traumatized by the whole fiasco.)I'm not a huge fan of this little yapping Lupito but it sure likes me. I do my devotions out in the front yard sitting on a stool and Lupito always jumps up onto my lap. That would be OK but she/he (haven't checked yet) is dirty and Gizmo gets jealous and comes over and bites Lupito's neck and they start fighting right in my lap. Not cool. Here is a picture of our two mighty guard dogs in front of our house.



I know you must think I'm obsessed with dogs now because I took so many pictures of them. Well the thing is, I know many of you have ADD and need pictures to stay interested but it is tricky taking pictures. I tried to take one of the city out of the car window and was quickly told to bring my arm back in. Apparently I was sending out an invitation to car-jackers. Whoops. I will have to channel my detective skills and sneak pictures of the city for you later. In the mean time, you can look at dog pictures:) Gee, I hope I don't become one of those women who has like 14 dogs and 12 cats. If I do, you have permission to set me up on a date.

Ok, back to the running story. Most of the run was on the beach and the scenery was remarkable! I'll have to take pictures one day to document this amazing running route I have. It was like I was running in paradise, minus the occasional fish head I had to jump over. I'm hesitant to send pictures because you might grow resentful if you are supporting me financially and see where I get to live:) It was an incredible answer to yet another prayer. It may be silly to pray for running routes, but I've prayed for stranger things and He seems to care about these little things as well as the big ones. I know I may get stressed this year, but I have a wonderful way to relieve it. (and no, I'm not just referring to picking all my zits)

This afternoon God answered another prayer when I got to go to CAM, the school I'll be teaching at. (Christian Academy in Mozambique) The school is larger than I imagined and in the middle of the city. There are 5 classrooms upstairs and the grades are divided in the following ways: 3rd and 4Th are together, 5Th and 6Th, 7Th and 8Th, 9Th and 10, and 11Th and 12Th. So the kids stay in their classroom and the teachers roam. The school has a library and teachers lounge where the teachers meet to pray for the students each day- I love that! I went to the school with the Miller family because they were having a parents meeting to discuss school dates. I think I was expected to sit in the meeting with the adults but instead I snuck out with Kimberly to play with the kids. To answer your question, I am 25 years old. Well this turned out to be yet another answer to prayer. I was worried that the kids at the school wouldn't like me. I thought that fear would go away after high school but those dang insecurities seem to keep popping up. Anyways, the kids were all shooting baskets so I smothered my awkwardness and insecurities and introduced them to the game of "lightning." I had instant supporters. Praise Jesus for basketball. I don't think I would have any friends if I couldn't play this sport. We then played a half court pick up game although I was wearing jeans and sandals. (Yes, I was the awkward kid at basketball camp who didn't come dressed prepared and now have bruised heels. I didn't know one could acquire bruises here, but you can and I am reminded of that every step I take. I could have probably avoided the bruises by going easy, but of course I had to be in my defensive stance and trying to block as many young boys as possible.) Pretty soon I had some sweet back sweat but so much fun. All of the kids who played will be my students so it was fun that we have a connection already. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I was again trying to convince people that I am cool and thus did not pull out my camera.

OK, speaking of classes, I have a HUGE prayer request in this area. Let me explain. So a few months ago when I was trying to sell myself to CAM (did I just sound like a prostitute- I didn't mean to) I told the director that I could teach history and English if they needed it. Why? Why would I offer to English? Sure I like to read but my grammar's not that great and I always pitied the English teachers having to do so much work. Well of course the director took me up on my offer and here are the classes I will be teaching:


7Th and 8Th graders- World History. OK, I'm cool with that- that's my area of expertise if you will since I've taught it the last 3 years. Junior highers should be interesting. I can't wait to observe their awkwardness in that stage. I never fully grew out of it but I stopped wearing flannel shirts.


7Th and 8Th graders- English. Um...OK, I'll struggle with an English class
but I'll figure it out. Oh wait, I have to teach grammar? This is not good news. You may have noticed in reading this blog, but I have yet to master the "comma." Just where do you put this little booger, or should I say, "thorn?" Yes- that would be in reference to it being the thorn in my side. Hopefully you will notice a gradual improvement in my grammar skills throughout this year.

9Th and 10Th graders- World Geography. Oh crap. Pardon my French. Why do people say that by the way? Crap isn't a french word. The reason I use that word though is because many of you know that geography is my "Achilles heel." Oh look at that, I made a literature reference- maybe this English class won't be so hard. I took
one geography class in college but had a crush on the boy behind me and needless to say, was not very focused. Jonathan Miller had to help me with my homework all the time because for instance, I thought the UK and Great Britain were two different places. The Hardemans are known for playing the game, "city or state?" Yeah, so it goes like this, "Ohio. City or state." and yes, we get a lot of them wrong. Don't judge us. I can feel your sense of intellectual superiority right now. So basically, teaching geography should be interesting to say the least.

9Th and 10Th grade- English. Another one. Hmmmmmm...I think you misunderstood what I meant when I offered to teach "A" English class. I know, OK, "an" English class. I thought I could teach 1 class, not two. hmmmmmm. This will be my largest class with a whopping 12 students. I already know 3 of the girls and they are super sweet. I wonder what they'll call me...they called me Katie today because obviously I don't go around introducing myself as "Miss Hardeman" so will they call me Katie in class? Another awkward question I have to ask someone.

11Th and 12Th grade- US History. Sweet. I'm totally comfortable with this. There are 4 kids in this class and none of them are American. I love it.

11th and 12th grade- English. I really thought the director was joking when she started giving me books for this class too. 6 separate classes to prepare for....this will be interesting. Last year I wrote all my own test questions, homework questions and even re-wrote most of the text book chapters. I tell you this not to boast, but to illustrate how anal I can be when it comes to teaching. I had one class to prepare for last year so I had the time and I am going to need to quickly adopt my dad's "laissez-faire" attitude about lesson planning. (be honest, do you know what laissez-faire means?) My point is this, I need prayer! Prayer that I would have an abundance of energy to make each class interesting but also prayer that I could let go of my need to be so controlling.

Another large prayer request is for Mr. Meyers. He is the man that is supposed to come be the director of the school for this coming year but he was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. He is going in for treatment fairly soon. CAM would be desperate without him. If he is unable to make it here, we really need another director for the school. Could you please pray that God would work out this situation?

Also, the school is in desperate need of teachers! Obviously we're short teachers seeing as I will be teaching 6 classes. Could you please pray that the great miracle-worker would work another one out and provide teachers for our school. We start classes on August 20 so I realize the notice is a bit late but God split the Red Sea so surely He can do this. I know what some of you are plotting right now..."I'll pray for a cute, young, male teacher to join Katie at CAM." I'm on to your schemes Kristen Debie:)

Do you remember watching old sit-coms like Full House when at the end of the episode they would cue the cheesy music and teach a lesson? Well I feel like I have a tendency to end my entries with some sort of "God insight." I don't do this purposefully, it just follows the flow of my thinking. So please don't accuse me of being like Danny Tanner. But today's passage in "Experiencing God" was so applicable to the types of different prayer requests and answered prayers that I have.

"Knowing God"

Exodus 6: 2-3 And God spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am the lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God
Almighty, but by My name Lord I was not known to them."

"As God has walked with His
people through the generations, He has progressively revealed His nature according to His purposes and the needs of His people. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob knew Him as God Almighty, because they needed His mighty power to protect them from their enemies. Moses and the Israelites learned that God was Lord, Master over every nation and every thing. God not only delivered them from the most powerful ruler in the world, but also brought them into the Promised Land. They came to experience Him as Lord, preeminently powerful over the pagan gods of their day.

God will continue to reveal
His character to you according to your needs and according to His purposes. You will come to know more and more about Him as you obey Him. When you grieve, He will come to you as Comforter. When you are in need, He will demonstrate that He is the Provider. When you face a serious challenge, He will reveal that He is God Almighty.

Your understanding of God's character ought to be greater now than when you first became a Christian. You ought to know
Him today better than you did five years ago. Sadly, some Christians continue to live year after year with the same basic knowledge of God that they had when they first began walking with Him. Whatever your present situation, view it in the light of what God is teaching you, through circumstances, about Himself and you will come to know God in dimensions you have never known Him before."

God has truly been a magnificent provider for me here in Mozambique and I pray that He will provide more help for CAM. I pray that he would be the Healer of Mr. Meyers. I pray that He would also be my protector. I read yesterday Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." The image that immediately came to mind was a scene from the movie, The Saint. Remember this one, with Val Kilmer and all this disguises? Well at the end they are sprinting to the US embassy while being chased. They barely make into the gates and were safe. Now I picture myself, not with Val however, sprinting to Jesus when I am scared and need safety. He is much more powerful than the US embassy. Now don't worry, I won't be foolish here when it comes to safety, but I have an amazing Protector on my side, stronger than any guard dog I could hire. To show you how safe I am in my home though, watch this video of Lupito and Gizmo saying hi to the neighbors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml53HvLHxAI


5 comments:

cindy said...

bravo my girl,yes I am freaking out a bit with your safety but the dog video was a master piece Love you billions mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, Miss Hardeman I can't believe your going to teach English. It sounds so un-you like. Are you going to make them do video projects like I had to do?
-Emily

Amy Vogt said...

Okay, since I am the roommate with the tick scar (yes, still) I'll try not to remember your cruelty...and please, please, please keep posting video. I love you!

letty said...

Hi Katie, It was great to hear your voice yesterday. I too loved the dog video; so realistic that our cat Pippin freaked out while hearing it and then heard your voice and calmed down. Bless you sweetie...God is ever with you. AL

Lesley Miller said...

In the spirit of Danny Tanner I'd like to inform you of all the American celebrity gossip:

Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie Tanner) was married last week in Vegas, just so you know. No worries- if you need celebrity updates I will provide them for you.

Love the videos too so keep them coming and if you want someone to pray for the whole geography thing I can do that!