Sunday, July 29, 2007

Am I Supposed to Eat the Hoof?

I had a flashback today to a Sunday a few years ago when my family visited an African-American church- yes, my very tall and very white family, this was not a "Where's Waldo" situation. We went not looking for rhythm lessons, although needed, but because a baby was being dedicated whom (or is it who? grammar coach?) my mom had taken care of for a long time and has a special bond with the family. I flashed back to that moment, standing in the huge church, trying to clap along (has anyone else witnessed my mom clapping in church? for the record mom, Mada claps like you do, just a bit off the beat but I don't know her well enough to tease her about it) and enjoying the service that turned about to be 3 hours long! I thought of that service today as Mada and I entered the sanctuary, feeling whiter than ever as everyone stared at us. We hadn't planned on going to this church but the pastor called this morning to invite us because they were having their 10 year anniversary celebration. I've mentioned this pastor before, pastor Vosca, who also started the orphanage that we went to, so I was excited to go to his church.

This service was drastically different from the rural church service but still incredible. Ten years ago, the church opened and today it was bursting at the seams with joyful believers. Here are some of the aspects of the church that I just LOVED:

* Worship through songs!!!! I am convinced that in heaven the worship pastors will be African:) One voice alone is not by any means spectacular, but combined with others' and their natural ability to harmonize, wow. What a great analogy of the body of Christ! I loved when they would include a "hallelujah" in the song so I could sing one word. I definitely tried to mumble along as well- like those people who try to sing with the radio even though they don't know the words, you know who you are... This church had a keyboard and microphones which actually drowned out some of the beautiful harmonies the congregation made but it was still amazing. There were 3 guys on stage who were radiating with joy as they danced to all of the songs. Their synchronized moves are hard to describe but it was kind of like line dancing while on speed. (I probably shouldn't make drug references when talking about a church service, but that's all I can think of to make a comparison.) Click on the following link to watch about a minute of one of the worship songs and please take note of the line-dancing men. Also, listen for the "Xena" call. Did no one else used to watch "Xena the Warrior Princess?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzW_371ABHs

* Offering! (no particular reason why I only used one explanation point rather than 4- it was equally amazing) I loved how this church collected offering. The entire church files to the front of the sanctuary to give their tithes, singing loudly all the while. Although I don't know the words we were singing, I imagine they were songs of thanksgiving and praise- praise to our Great Provider and thanks to Him as we give back a small portion of His blessings. I've never seen people so cheerful to tithe. They were literally dancing in the rows, overwhelmed by God's blessing. Click on the link to watch a short clip. Notice the women with babies wrapped on their backs. Also, notice the sweet Blossom hat in front of me. (I used to have this brilliant Blossom hat with a giant flower in the front- I was stylin) Did anyone notice my use of the word "brilliant?" My new British friend uses it all the time and sometimes I feel too much like a surfer (which I'm not actually) using words like "sweet" and "awesome" all the time. Also, please tell me you know who Blossom is- it not a reference to flowers. Was that the show where Joey Lawerence said, "Whoa...?" Love that quote. Wow, quite sidetracked...again, you're about to a watch clip showing the offering and you're looking for a "brilliant" hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJWv6GlG8s


* Kids' choir! I always love when kids sing in front (mainly because I love finding the confused ones and the ones picking their noses but also because their voices are so sweet) and this was no exception. One really cool part was I recognized one of the kids. Peter, from the orphanage was in the choir. Look for him in the video- he's in a red shirt. (This is more like Where's Waldo? now) One of my favorites was the small boy in the front in the full suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yGkzasE1P0


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIGwJE9NY4


* Lot translated everything for me. No, I was not having a vision of Abraham's relative (nephew? cousin? Who knows their OT trivia?). Let me explain. So people came from ALL over Mozambique came to this celebration service and one group was from a church up north. They sang a few songs for us and their leader was this hilarious, large, loud man who made the entire church laugh with his exaggerated motions and amazing passion. As they walked back to their seats, he stopped and asked if I spoke Portuguese and if I needed a translator. "Ummmm...big, sweaty, animated man, yes, I would love if you would translate." For at least 2 hours he translated for me everything that was going on. This was great since I was beginning to feel sleepy and couldn't fall asleep while the person next to me was talking to me. Well, I could have but that would be quite rude.

* New pastors and their wives were commissioned and sent out to serve other parts of Mozambique. It was greatly emphasized that these men were called by God and should not be doing this merely to make a business. Unfortunately, this is a huge problem in the church in Mozambique- many men take leadership roles (thanks Lesley) in the church solely to gain money and power. They were prayed over and then a line of at least 50 people walked by to hug each man and wife. I realized today that I have something in common with Mozambican woman: we both love to dress like twins with others! See how all the wives are wearing the same outfit? I used to always try to dress the same as my roommates and Heidi and I had matching Easter dresses into our twenties!

* Prayer!!! One cultural thing I was not accustomed to but love, is how sometimes, everyone prays out loud at the same time. (not in tongues) It felt a bit charismatic but so freeing to be able to pray aloud (or is it out loud?) without any inhibitions. I especially liked that even if they wanted to know, no one had any clue what I was saying.

* Lunch! We were given a number as we entered the sanctuary and then groups of people were called outside to eat lunch. The church had been saving for at least a year, to pay to feed the entire congregation which was about 400 people! We ate delicious chicken, rice and beans and lucky me, I got a giant goat hoof for flavor. I glanced around to see if I was supposed to nibble on it or something but luckily no one else with the hoof was going to town. In the picture you'll see some of the women working to prepare the meal for everyone. Once Mada and I finished eating, we went to take a picture with the pastor and realized church was still going on! Since they must wash and reuse all the plates and have enough space for everyone to eat outside, groups were called out to eat and then returned to the service. Mada and I finally left at 2. That's right, a five-hour service, and it looked like the service was not even close to ending and getting everyone fed. What an experience! When we walked to the car, a huge crowd of kids were leaning on it and little ones were laying on top. I tried to capture the beautiful, bashful faces of these girls who cracked up when they saw themselves on the screen.

Lately there has been a lot of talk of the movie "Blood Diamond." Mainly because many scenes were filmed in Maputo and Henrik, our Swedish neighbor, was an extra in the movie. (I convinced a little girl that he is famous and she got a picture with him and his autograph) My friend Jenny reminded me of something said in the movie when one of the characters says that God left Africa a long time ago. Time and time again, God is proving that He has not left. He is very present and the church is rapidly growing. However, the church in Mozambique needs prayer. Here are some of the prayers:

* Education for the pastors! Unfortunately, many pastors haven't read the whole bible and take things way out of context and completely ignore some parts of scripture. For example, some pastors have more than 1 wife! This is why the work OC is doing so crucial- training pastors!


* Hearts of the church leaders. As previously mentioned, many people take leadership positions only for money and power. Also, there is a lot of jealousy so if one church is thriving, another church may try to discredit the prospering church. Sadly, corruption in the church seems to be universal.

* Eyes would be opened to the truth about Jesus' sacrifice. There is a large group of syncharnists
in Mozambique. (when Mada says this word, it really sounds like "secretists" and for awhile I was very curious about what "secrets" they were keeping) They are blending the truths of the gospel with their ancient, tribal beliefs, claiming this is a more "African" religion and not the "White Man's religion." By blending these beliefs, they do believe Jesus is the Son of God, but they try to earn their way to heaven by many rituals which include animal sacrifice. Pray that they would really take to heart the part in Hebrews where it talks about Jesus being the final, perfect sacrifice.

* Witchcraft would be eliminated. There is a lot of spiritual warfare and much witchcraft which leaves church leaders crippled by fear. Even Pastor Vosca talked about how since he was the oldest boy, when he left home, he was inhabited by a spirit. Pray for pastors to have courage and wisdom and to rely on God's strength to face this battle.

One of my favorite prayers is found in Ephesians. I love praying this for others and ask that you would pray it for the church in Mozambique and for me:

Ephesians 1:17-18

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."

I do pray that your eyes would be opened to the hope He has called you to and I ask that you would pray the same for me. I think if we could truly wrap our minds around the concept of how much He loves us and the hope He has for us, our lives would be drastically different, I know mine would. This changes seems to be a gradual process, where slowly, He does open our eyes and thus slowly, we gain a better, fuller understanding of Him which changes how we live.

No comments: